Friday, February 29, 2008

Lessons learned in my 7 weeks as a new mom

Rocklin will be 7 weeks old tomorrow. On one hand I feel like I was just pregnant lugging around my big belly and on the other hand, I feel like this sweet little spirit has been in our home forever. It's crazy how much I thought I might know before having a baby and now that he's here I realize I have so much to learn. I have learned a few things, however, since coming home from the hospital.

1. Patience. All you experienced mothers out there are probably thinking I have no idea what patience is yet, but I feel like I've come a long way since having Rocklin. Getting up 12 times in a row to put the binki back in his mouth when he's trying to go to sleep in the middle of the night doesn't even phase me anymore.

2. Love. I am learning the meaning of true love more each and every day as I look at the sweet face of my little son. Last night during his 3 AM feeding, I was just staring at him thinking how I didn't even care that it was the middle of the night and he has woken me up because he's hungry. I happily held and fed him and just said a little prayer to my Heavenly Father thanking him for trusting me and sending me such a sweet and special spirit to raise. (Don't get me wrong, there are times when he wakes me up at 3 AM that I'd much rather be sleeping, but last night I was having a moment of thankfulness).

3. The beauty of a good swaddle blanket and a binki. HA! Seriously though, I swear I went through so many receiving blankets before finding some that didn't shrink and were big enough to do a tight swaddle to keep Rocklin tight and cozy so he could sleep good. Like most new babies, he loves to be swaddled. Between the swaddle and the binki, he's in new baby heaven.

4. I will never not worry about my child(ren). Last weekend my brother and his fiance watched Rocklin so Adam and I could go out to dinner with some friends. I called home three times and thought about him the entire time. As a mother, I think now I'll always be thinking about my kid no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I hope I don't get to the obnoxious point with it, and I'm sure as time goes on I won't worry as much, but I know I'll always be thinking of him.

5. Support. By support, I am referring to the fact that I've learned to truly appreciate what am amazing and wonderful support system I have in my life. It was rough at first for me trying to adjust being a mom, and I'm sure I'll have more rough times here and there, but during these times I have realized to really and truly appreciate my husband, my parents, my brothers, Adam's family and all of my many amazing friends... My husband is the most caring, loving and patient man I know. I knew I loved him before having a baby, but he has taught me the meaning of unconditional love and support.

I'll stop with 5. There are so many other things that I could write, but I'll save those for a future post. I am learning to love my new life as a Mom, and as I go on, I'm realizing I couldn't be happier!

7 comments:

Cathleen said...

I would say you are off to an excellent start! Learning to enjoy them and really love them when they are still in this very demanding phase I think is wonderful. With my first 2, I think I was so excited for them to get to the next phase, to be able to do more, and to be more independent. It wasn't until my 4th (Aleks), that I really learned to enjoy the infancy stage. One day, you feel like you blinked, and your oldest is 18 and off to college. Where did the time go? I have really learned to enjoy every minute now. It goes so fast. I am thankful to still have little ones around (and hoped to yet still be blessed with more).
Sometimes it feels like you will never sleep again, but these moments where they are so pure, so new, so fresh from our Heavenly Father are just really a blink in time. This moment with this child will never be again. I can tell that you are enjoying him as I read your posts, I love your regular updates...please keep it up.

Brittany said...

I have to say being a mom is the best. It only gets better, harder, but better. I honestly wouldn't trade being a mom for anything and I diddo everything you said. I have wanted to call you to hang out, but my kids keep getting sick and I don't want to pass that around. Hopefully they will recover soon and we can take Rocklin on his first trip to park and what not. Sorry we missed the blessing, it looked like it went well. Hope to see you soon.

LAURA said...

That was a really sweet post. I miss those moments looking down at them nursing and nothing else is more special that that moment!

I'm in town this weekend, I'm trying to find your cell phone number, can I come by and visit you guys? We're here until Monday afternoon. I'll keep looking for your number!

Jody said...

O.K. how does a Mom respond to a wonderful daughter who has become a Mother and is growing to know what love is all about? I recently sent out an email to my kds about "mean Moms". It was about mom's who were " mean" because they had their children mind, do chores, have a bedtime, share, go to church, etc., etc. One of my children wrote back and simply said " I LOVE YOU MOM". I had tears in my eyes (as I do now) as I read those simple words and the meaning they have to me. Nothing in this life can even come close to motherhood and the blessing it is! I know for a fact that I was put on this earth to be a Mom and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Nothing makes me happier than to see my Daughter and Daughter-in-law enjoy motherhood and the beautiful children Heavenly Father has entrusted them with. They are both doing an awesome job. I love you Kristen and Sarah..Hugs, love and BIG kisses to Rocklin, Mayrn, Brynna and I'm saving some for sweet baby Lauryn !!!

Love, MOM

Sarah Young said...

They really do change your life, don't they? Despite the challenges, I don't think there is anything more rewarding than parenthood!

LaLona said...

I agree with everything you said! Especially the love part... there is nothing else like it.

Erica said...

Sweet post. The lessons don't stop there...nor the pleasure of being a mom. Thanks for making me think about those newborn/new mom days again!