Monday, February 18, 2008

Dog or no dog?

Adam has wanted a dog since we got married. Now, I've never been a big animal person. Growing up, the only animals we were allowed to have was a hamster (which escaped from his cage and eventaully died under the couch) and hermit crabs (which also die rather quickly, and that's probably from my brothers and I forcing them out of their shell to come out and play).

Initally Adam wanted an English Bulldog, but we've since decided heck no due to massive amounts of drooling and lots of skin rashes under the skin folds. I hear they get sick all the time too, although they are fat, cute things.

Then he decided after seeing my friends Stephanie and Aaron's little Yorkshire Terrier (I think that's what it was) that that was the dog for him. Gross. Those dogs have beards. A dog with a beard? No thanks...I can see
the beard getting dirty with food and dirt and me having to clean it out. Like I said, no thanks. Now no offense, Stephanie and Aaron, and you guys are much better owers of a Yorkshire Terrier (again, I think that's what it's called) than I ever would be. And your dog's beard never looks dirty.

So Adam comes home the other day from work and informs me that his co-worker's Golden Retriever just had puppies and that in 9 weeks we're going to be the proud owners of a Golden Retriever puppy. Hmmmm....Golden Retrievers are cute and all, but this means I'll be at home with a new baby and a new puppy. Do I sound like a broken record if I again say, No thanks. I told Adam that if he wants a puppy, I'm game as long as he takes it to work with him every day.

I think of a dog as another human in the house - and another expense that I'm not sure I'm up for. Maybe when Rocklin is a little older and can actually play with the dog, but now, when he's a new baby?

Help me out here folks...do we want a dog or do we not want a dog?

10 comments:

Matt and Jen said...

I say no dog. Puppies are a lot of work especially when you have a baby.

Jody said...

I say I want ALL the attention to go to our beautiful, wonderful,special, adorable, handsome, sweet,lovable, huggable, kissable, etc.,etc., etc..... grandson!!!!!!

Love...Grammy...

Jennie said...

Are you kidding? Leave Adam home with the baby and the dog for ONE day and he will say "nevermind, Kristen, you were so right." No dog. I have had friends do this and their advice has been if you didn't have a dog before the baby, then don't get one until the kid is at least 5 :) That's just my two cents.

Aimee said...

I have to agree... no dog! (No offense, Adam!) Puppies are a lot of work to house train and you have to keep them from swallowing small objects that end up within their reach. One of my coworkers just had to fork out nearly $1000 b/c their English Bulldog puppy couldn't keep Barbie shoes and purses out of his mouth... he ended up w/ a blockage, and anyway, NOT FUN! I think I'd want to wait until Rocklin was old enough to want a dog too!

Erica said...

Hey, don't you have enough to do right now with...a new baby???
Pass this onto your mom, please.
kathireinbold@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dogs poop. 'Nuf said. Gramps

Miller Family said...

Now, you know I'm a HUGE dog lover, but a puppy and a baby will be a lot of work. We almost got another one and I had to talk Troy out of it due to the baby coming. It would be a lot of work and a big expense if you are not totally ready for it. I would wait until you get things settled with Rocklin, then research and see what type of dog will be best for you. There are SO many out there...you can find one that fits your family.

Salt H2O said...

Dogs are AWESOME. Tell Adam that if he wants a dog he has to pay for the dog to get trained. Once you the dog is trained it is like having a small child in the house- but WAY more obedient.

Our dogs go potty outside, they sleep during most of the day, they go to bed when we say bed, they rarely bark and all because they were properly trained.

Also, I feel safe when Brent's out of town, that's when I fell in love with my dogs- you have a protector there all the time.

Send the dog to puppy camp for two weeks, when you bring him home you'll love him too.

Anonymous said...

I say, tell Adam he is crazy and save the dog for another time....like when the kids can take care of it. My kids have been asking for a dog forever. I just say, "one day". Then they ask is "oneday" after "Sunday"? Anyhow, a dog is like having another person around, especially a puppy! What is he thinking? Sorry, Adam I'm with Kristen on this one.

Sarah Young said...

Kristen, you make me laugh because you sound like Justin. He has 0% desire to ever own a pet. I told him that he wouldn't be winning that one BUT timing is everything. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT have a puppy and an infant at the same time. You will regret it. I told the girls as long as I am changing diapers, I will not be scooping poop at the same time. No dog until we have a fenced yard and the baby is potty trained. Also research all the breeds. Goldens are wonderful, but that will grow up to be a big dog which is hard on furniture, lots of food, etc... There are breed compatibility tests online to help choose the breed right for your family. It's like a 15 year commitment, so do all your homework.