Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Quit!

Yesterday I quit my job. I've been out on maternity leave since I went out on bed rest back in December and I was supposed to go back part time next week. However, the thought of leaving Rocklin with someone other than me during the day was just getting to be too much for me to think about. Adam and I decided that it would be best for now if I quit my job to stay at home and raise Rocklin. I may entertain the idea of working with a former client from home, but we'll see. Right now my focus is on Rocklin and making sure he knows how much his momma loves him!

I have worked in corporate America for the past 10 years and I will say that quitting my job yesterday to stay at home full-time with my child is a liberating feeling! Growing up, I always dreamed of being a mom and never envisioned myself as the "corporate" type, but life didn't exactly go as I had initially planned for myself and I had to get a "real" job. I have been blessed with some great opportunities during the past 10 years and have learned so much at each of my jobs, but I have a feeling that the biggest lessons in life are yet to be learned as I watch this little person grow before my eyes. I am so thankful to be blessed with this opportunity!

As a side note, here are some of the jobs I've had since I began working 13 years ago...
  • Chuck E. Cheese (and yes, I did have to dress up like Chuckie once!)
  • Lifegaurd
  • Swimming Lessons Teacher
  • Consignment Store (I priced and sold used clothing and furniture)
  • Telemarketer (HATED it...but Provo didn't have much else to offer me at the time)
  • Receptionist at a car dealership
  • Sales Assistant at an online job board
  • Administrative Assistant for a few different companies
  • Executive Assistant for an executive search firm
  • Human Resources Coordinator
  • Recruiter for a video gaming company
  • MOM

11 comments:

LAURA said...

Congrats!!! No more sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day! I loved visiting with you guys, thanks for having me over. I'll have to come back sometime when Adam's there so I can meet him.

Cathleen said...

Welcome to the best and most rewarding job ever!! Nothing will ever compare to being a Mom!!

Miller Family said...

YEA!! Enjoy...I'm jealous. :) Hopefully I'll be able to stay home too. We'll see.

Matt and Jen said...

Wahoo! Lucky you! I am jealous, I have to head back to work part time in 2 weeks. At least my little ones will be with their wonderful grammies while I am at work 2 days a week.

Sarah Young said...

Kristen, I know just what you mean! When I quit my job back in September, it was the first time since I was 16 that I wasn't bringing SOME sort of income in. But I was ready to just run away from the working world and and not look back! I know you won't regret being there to see Rocklin grow!

Jody said...

You make a mom proud!!!!!!! Best decision you'll ever make.. Other than marrying Adam. It takes a great husband to support this decision and see the value of his wife staying home and raising his children. Sacrifices will be made but the rewards outweigh those sacrifies tenfold !! Love you all!!!

Kristine said...

Your little guy will be so lucky to be raised by the one who loves him the most! Very hard decision, because you don't get promotions and bonuses while being a mom, but you get rewarded in millions of other ways.

Sarah Young said...

Oooh, I like your new blog skin! Fab!

Unknown said...

Oh honey...I think this is wonderful...and I am full of envy!

Miss you :|

Happy The Man said...

I commend you for this choice and surely Heavenly Father recognizes from your actions the importance and value you are placing on the roll of motherhood (is there really any greater calling in life, seriously???) He knows it and He sees now that you know it too. I can't imagine Him being any more proud than when He witnesses His children making sacrifices and choices like this.

Before we had children, my wife worked at Novell and had been promoted, was well liked and had a future there with very good people. But she too couldn't bear the idea of leaving our new baby and did exactly the same thing. That was 18+ years ago. When people say to me, "oh, your wife doesn't work?", I say, "she works harder than anyone I know!"

No doubt it is (usually) a huge sacrifice to live on one salary and it also requires a good deal of faith, especially in this worsening economy. On various occasions over the years, Cathleen has worked part time evenings or Saturday jobs and/or I have worked multiple jobs to help make ends meet. We are the first to admit that it is not easy, especially if you want a large family, but we do not regret at all the sacrifices we've made to have a parent home at all times with our kids.

Erica said...

Congrats. It's fun to stay at home. But don't be surprised when you sit and dream about the "old job", where you didn't work NEAR as hard!!! :)