Monday, March 24, 2008

Hair-Do

Getting my hair done has always been one of those necessary luxuries for me. Back when I was single and my funds were a little more flexible, I pretty much had a standing hair appointment. If I went more than two months without getting my color done, the world as I knew it was coming to an end. Now that I am married with a family, I have seen the light that there are other, more important things that we need to spend money on, silly things like electricity bills and groceries.

It's been about 5 months or so since I last had my hair done and boy is it time for an update! Will someone please nominate me for one of those makeover shows?!?! I was planning on getting my hair done like a week or so before my due date so that I would look "cute" in my pictures right after giving birth. What a joke that was. Not only did I not get my hair done due to my bed rest, but I think my hair had gone three days or so without even a washing by the time I had Rocklin via C-section. Needless to say, the pictures are nearly as "cute" as I was hoping for!

So with that being said, I scheduled a hair appointment for myself a week from Wednesday with a girl that some of my girlfriends in my ward go to. She's supposed to be really good and let me tell you, I CAN'T WAIT!! My hair is longer right now then it's been in a loooong time. While I like the look of long hair, something about this Arizona heat makes me want to shave my head. Don't worry, I don't think I'll take it to that extreme, but I do think I'm going to get a lot of it cut off. Not to mention my roots are so blah. I'll have to take some before and after pictures. And hopefully, there will be a noticeable difference! (Every time I get my hair cut, I say I'm going to do something different but it always comes out the exact same, just about one inch shorter and one shade lighter. Does that happen to anyone else??)

That brings me to one more question - when you go to get your hair done these days, how much do you tip? Do you tip a percentage or just a flat $5, $10, $20, etc.? We all know it isn't exactly cheap to get your hair done (well, for a GOOD cut and color). By the time I've shelled out at least $100, it aches me to then pull out even more to tip the hairdresser who is going to be pocketing at least half of the money I just spent on getting my hair done. Now, I know that sounds incredibly cheap, and I guess I am sometimes, but I just wanted to know what everyone else tips. I don't want to stiff my new hair girl on her tip next week, but I also want to tip within reason. What does everyone else do?

5 comments:

Aimee said...

I usually tip just over 10%...

The girl that does my hair charges $25 for a cut, so I pay her $30. A cut/color is $70, so I pay her $80. Might be a little cheap, but she does this out of her home, not making commission or paying booth rent, so she's able to pocket every dime.

It's funny, but just tipping her that little amount (I usually give a double tip right before Christmas) ensures me a priority spot in her schedule, and she's always good to fit me in.

Have fun w/ the new -do and be sure to post pics!

Sarah Young said...

I usually tip 18% or round it up. So if my tab was $107 I'll tip $20, which really makes me sick, but I feel like that's what's expected. I decided it's time to find a new hair girl, she does an okay job, nothing spectacular, certainly not worth $127 . But I also don't want to look like I got my head caught in a lawn mower. I've been told what I pay is really reasonable, but I think that's a bunch of crap. Is there a truly talented, reasonable hairdresser alive? If so, contact me.

Salt H2O said...

20% my friend. Standard tipping is tragically 20%.

Sarah Young- if you want someone phenominal go to Jared at Lunatic Fringe in Park City Utah- he owns the salon and can do anything. Pricey, but oh so very worth it.

Amazing Grace said...

I cannot wait to see it! The baby is getting soooo big... and gorgeous!
Miss you!

the Holyoaks said...

I have a friend that's a hairdresser and she said that 15-20% is the standard.

Rocklin is so cute Kristen! I really want to meet him!