Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Letter to Paul

Dear Paul,

Wow, where does the time go. It's be three years today since you left us and I feel like I was talking and laughing with you just the other day. I just wanted to pay tribute to you today and let you know that I am thinking of you. I reread my journal entry from the night I found out you had left us and my heart aches. I sobbed uncontrollably that night. I couldn't even find the words to explain how I felt. I remember you text me a couple nights before and told me you loved me. The next day I sent you an email and asked why you texted me in the middle of the night. You said you had had a really hard couple of weeks and you wanted me to know that you were thinking of me. I remember emailing you back saying that I would call you over the weekend. I am not sure if you ever got that email, but I did want you to know that I was thinking of you too. I miss you, Paul.

I remember the last time I saw you. I was visiting Texas and you dropped me off at the airport for my flight home. You parked illegally and a parking attendant told you to move your car. You just ignored her so that you could give me a hug goodbye. She kept yelling at you to move and you kept ignoring her. For some reason it was so funny. Everything with you was like that - just every day situations made so much more fun because you were there. I miss you, Paul.

I can't wait until I can see you again someday and introduce you to my beautiful son and wonderful husband. I think you'd really like them. You have the greatest friends and family. I remember at your funeral the church was packed wall-to-wall with people and then some. I wonder if you knew how many people's life you touched. I bet if you did, you'd still be with us here today. I miss you, Paul.

You were one of my best friends. I will never forget you. I miss you, Paul.

Love,

Kristen

8 comments:

Jody said...

It's hard to believe Paul has been gone for 3 years. He was one of the good guys. Kristina, if you read this just know that Phil and Jody miss Paul as well. We love you family!

Erica said...

Wow. I couldn't have said it better myself. What a void he left in our lives. Kelli A and I were recently talking about how much we miss him...
Beautiful tribute.

Vanessa said...

I miss him, too.

Valerie: said...

oh no who is your friend Paul? How sad he is dead, how did that happen?

Miller Family said...

Kristen....that was so sweet and heartfelt. I know how close you were to Paul and how much you must miss him. It doesn't seem like it's been 3 years.

Kevin said...

I almost cried reading this. Well written.

Paul, Rest In Peace.

Sarah Young said...

Kristen, my heart broke for you reading this. I wish like you said that he would have known how many people cared for and loved him. I always wonder when someone dies that way about the life that should have been, but wasn't, because of a moment of despair. You wish so badly they could have seen past that moment. I'm so sorry you had to lose him too soon.

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

Thank you Kris, I needed that.
I love you.