Thursday, September 4, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake!!

Those of you that know me well at all, probably know that I LOVE to bake! I must get this passion from my mother who always had some type of fresh baked goodies in the house while we were growing up. (Thanks, Mom!)

I've been looking for a new hobby lately, and I think I'd be really interested in learning how to make fondant iced cakes. I just love the look of fondant. In fact, my wedding cake in California was a brown and pink fondant iced caked. (Sadly, I don't have a picture on my computer to post, but it was a beautiful cake). Oh, and while I'm talking about wedding cakes, my friend Katherine made my wedding cake at my Georgia reception. It turned out lovely, tasty, and it was PINK!

Anyway...have any of you out there ever tried working with fondant? Is it hard? I'd LOVE to be able to make a cute, fondant cake for Rocklin's first birthday. That's not until January, but that give me time to practice. Any tips? Are they expensive to make? Am I crazy to think I can do this? I'd like to think I'm creative, well...at least semi-creative, and I think this would be a lot of fun!

For your viewing pleasure...look at these beauties I found on the web:




images via flickr

8 comments:

Jennie said...

kristin- i learned to make fondant for jack's bday. go to my blog on nov 3 and oct 27 last year and you will see the cakes. i actually made a tiny smash cake for jack with real icing b/c i wanted him to get messy but i did two others with fondant. it is super easy to make. i can send you the recipe. i had a hard time getting it to be the colors i wanted. it also took time so you have to do it at night once the little guy goes to sleep. email me and i can send you the recipe i used and answer any questions you have. it is fun to try and it isn't that hard- just really messy! jenniecouncill@gmail.com

Jody said...

Dang....With all the chicken breasts, salads, brocolli and water I have been ingesting as of late I could seriously just lick this computer screen!!!!!!!!!! These cakes look REAL yummy!!!

Unknown said...

so you really were trying avoid working today...:) You'd be really great at it I'm sure. You have the eye and creativity. good luck!

Vanessa said...

Hey there! I got your blog off your facebook page and had to take a look. My sis, Michelle, and I are actually pretty experienced with fondant (we made cakes together before I left Texas). It's not hard at all... in fact much easier than making any other icing decorations. But, it tastes terrible. You can also buy already made white fondant at Walmart if you don't want to make - just add colors.

Sarah Young said...

I've never made a fondant cake myself, but I watch Food Network Challenge - Cakes all the time so I've seen it done a gazillion times. It doesn't look so hard, even those peeps buy good white fondant that's already made and dye it themselves by putting in some coloring and then kneading it until the color is blended. Get prepared for colored fingers! Then you roll, drape, trim, and voila!

Alison said...

I was just talking about this with someone yesterday-weird. She made an adorable fondant cake and it actually tasted good! She made her own marshmallow fondant-she said to search for the recipe online. It's just marshmallows melted, water, and enough powdered sugar to make it rollable. I'm gonna try it sometime soon, too, so let me know how your experience goes!

Valerie: said...

yes those cakes are always so much cuter than regular cake but i dont think they taste as good cause you cant really eat the fondent. Good luck on trying to make one for Rocklins birthday. I am sure you'll do a great job. Invite us to his party so i can try it heheh We'll see you tomorrow night at dinner

Sarah said...

I highly recommend the marshmellow fondant! I made it, it's easy to work with and even tastes decent (compared to the regular fondant) You can find the recipe here: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I love baking too! We need to exchange tips!