Wednesday, April 11, 2007

What you can learn from T.V.

Adam and I get along and agree on just about everything...except TV. I'm a TLC, E! Entertainment and Oprah kind of girl. Adam, on the other hand, is a Military, FOX News and shoot-em-up movie kind of a guy. At night we like to wind down from the day with a little TV. A lot of times we end up with a channel we can both agree on - The Discovery Channel. So I thought I'd share a few things I learned from the Discovery Channel last night.

First: I guess it's a common myth that Thomas Crapper invented the toilet. Despite this urban legend, Crapper did not invent the actual flush toilet, but he did popularise it and did come up with some related inventions. The noun "crap" was in use long before he was born, but no longer used in Victorian Britain. Adam and I were laughing so hard when they were talking about it. Thankfully, I married into an awesome last name - Birkmeyer. I feel sorry for all the Crapper's out there.

Second: Did you know that See's Candy makes all of their BonBon's by hand? That's right folks, if you've ever eaten a See's BonBon, it was handcrafted by some cute little old lady with a white apron and a big black bow under her neck. (Don't those chocolates look inviting?)

No comments: