Friday, September 4, 2009

Cheap Frame Re-do

I have had this itch to spray paint lately. I think it's because a) I've never bought anything at a hardware store for myself b)never spray painted before and c)I've seen some super cute things on blogs here and there that have been brought back to life via a little spray paint. (i.e. THIS). I've been to local thrift stores on the hunt for a yummy frame, but haven't really found anything that suits my fancy. I was at the 99 cent store the other day and came upon this little gem:
And was thinking - YES, something I can spray paint! (And if I messed it all up, I was only out 99 cents...the best part).
So off to the hardware store I went and picked up a can of Cherry Red spray paint. And here's the result...and I kind of like it!

Now, I'm not really a dried-flower-kinda-girl, but I've had this rose I've been saving from the very first bouquet of roses Adam sent me at work when we first started dating (Cheesy, I know). I thought it may be cute framed or something one of these days. I'm not sure if I like this really, but I love the way the red turned out on the frame so for now, this will do.

I mostly liked the edging on this little cheapy frame...looks kind of fancy in all it's 99 cent glory.

And her she sits, adding some much needed color to the bookshelf.

Next up...find a much bigger frame. I want to spray paint another one (it's kind of addicting) and make a calendar (wouldn't it be cute on the calendar I found below on etsy?) or a fabric-covered bulletin board. If (I mean when) I come across a bigger frame, I'll be sure to post my before and afters here. Hopefully it will turn out just as cute as this little red one did!

5 comments:

Sarah Young said...

Ooh, me likey! Kristen I have big plans for our craftiness when you get your butt to Georgia! ;)

Miller Family said...

Very neat! I love spray paint...I've spray painted our desk black and I also spray painted wicker basket dark brown to match our decor. In fact, I need to spray paint a large B for Bennett.

Unknown said...

OK...this is so fun! I have been trying to collect frame that look JUST LIKE THAT for a few months now. I want to spray paint all of them the same color and put b&w photos of my family in them and hang them in a collage on the wall. We are so kindred crafters! I only have 3 frames right now and I totally want that one. Do I have that 99 cent store here?!

Erica said...

Okay, that is very cool! I think I'm inspired. Yes, yes I am. :) Thanks!

Jennifer said...

LOVE that red color! Very creative!