Monday, September 21, 2009

Buttermilk

Ever had to buy a big ol' jug of buttermilk for a recipe and then never have a need to use the rest of it? Maybe you haven't, but I swear it happens to me every time I need buttermilk. I can't ever find it in a small container and I have very few recipes that call for buttermilk. I happen to have some hanging out in my fridge for another recipe I made last week.

Well, I've come across a recipe from Cooking Light that has solved my problem. Here's the recipe - it makes one quick loaf of delicious bread! Crusty on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. Make it. You'll thank me for not only putting that buttermilk to good use, but also having a fresh, quick, homemade loaf of bread smelling up your kitchen all yummy-like.

It's so easy. It's so good.

Buttermilk Quick Bread
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
Ingredients
9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large egg whites
Cooking spray

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, and egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
3. Spread batter into an 8 x 4–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 137 (0.0% from fat)
Fat: 4.6g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.3g)
Protein: 4.1g
Carbohydrate: 19.7g
Fiber: 0.6g
Cholesterol: 12mg
Iron: 1mg
Sodium: 266mg
Calcium: 48mg

Jean Patterson, Cooking Light, JANUARY 2009

9 comments:

Unknown said...

did you know you can make buttermilk by adding 1T vinegar per 1c milk? easy and no waste...just souble check on the amount before you make it, I am going on memory here and that is for sure scary!

VirtualM said...

extra buttermilk = multiple Texas sheet cakes. mmmmmmm gonna send myself into a sugar coma just thinking about it. :) Luckily I can usually find it in the 'pint' size, enough for 2-3 cakes with not much waste.

MUTHABOMB said...

I like this recipe because it doesn't intimidate me...There is something about baking bread that freaks me out...the yeast or rising it or something...I will try this one :) thanks

Wendy said...

Yummm...I've been craving homemade bread anyway, so this sounds extra good to me! I wonder if it would work in the bread machine?

Ashley Terry said...

Your blog makes me happy and makes me want to be crafty, culinary, and creative - just like you :) Thanks for sharing; I will have to give this a try!!!

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

you can also use 1 c milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice to make buttermilk. It works REALLY well. OR you can just sub the amt of buttermilk called for with plain yogurt. Just FYI. If I didn't know these things I'd be hauling it to the store WAY to much, or dumping out alot of dough mixes!
Thanks for the recipe, have to give it a shot sometime soon!

Jody said...

made the bread....actually I made 2 loaves. I had to make myself one and taste it and if it's good I'll take that to my V.T. sister I'm seeing this afternonn! It smells and looks goos, so I'm sure it's yummy!

Jody said...

OK the bread was indeed yummy!!I had 2 pieces hot out of the oven with butter and homemade strawberry jam!!! ( Shame on me!!!)

Simmons Family said...

wow that looks so good. I am going to write the recipe down right now!! yummmmmm!!!!!