Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Great Article

I generally try not to get political here on my blog, but today I was sent an article that I really liked and thought I would share. I am sure by now that most of you have heard of the Proposition 8 in CA that passed with this most recent election, thus not allowing same-sex couple marriages to be recognized as a marriage. There are many people upset with this decision and are placing blame on religious groups, especially the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka the Mormons) saying that their rights are being taken away.

I think that this article sums everything up very nicely in a few sentences:

"Government intrusion on religion is what's at stake. What's at risk in this fight is not the civil rights of homosexuals. What's at risk is religious freedom for every American. That and the not-so-small problem of undermining what has been for centuries the very foundation of society."

The article is a little longer so I am not going to post it on my blog, however please feel free to read it here:

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Perspectives/Default.aspx?id=323704.

You many not agree with me, however this is an issue that I feel is important to me, especially now that I have a child. I certainly do not want the government dictating what must be taught to my child as "correct" morals and principles. As a parent, that is my job, and I take great pride in having the right to raise up my children with the morals I teach them...not the government. That is a freedom I enjoy as being a citizen of this great country.

5 comments:

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

AMEN! Very well said. Thanks for the article. This whole thing is driving me crazy.

Miller Family said...

I agree!

Sarah Young said...

amen sistah!

Valerie: said...

hey..everything is going well with the babe. She is a really sweet thing. Its actually been easier for me to adjust to a new baby this time than when sydney was born..crazy!! She sleeps pretty much through the night but we'll see if that keeps happening. I will call you when things aren't so busy and you can come over and see her.

Vanessa said...

That article rocks! I have been trying to explain my opinions to a friend and this helps a ton! I am so glad you posted this.