Thursday, August 13, 2009

Black Bean Brownies

I know you're probably thoroughly disgusted by the title of this post, but read on...trust me.

First of all, let me say thank you to Adam's cousin's wife for posting this on her blog. I stole the idea because I was curious to see if this actually worked. Good news - it did! (Thanks, Casey!).

It's no secret that I love to bake. It doesn't help that I'm home all day now - I've been fighting the urge to make cakes and cookies and brownies of all sorts for a while now. It's almost the act of baking (and licking the spoon) that I love more than the finished product itself.

I am so my Mother's daughter.

Anyway, I've tried different versions of "low-fat" brownies in the past (you know, adding applesauce instead of oil, etc.), and I never have been happy with A) the texture and B) the overall taste. I was excited to try these simple brownies, even though the idea of adding black beans to my brownie mix kind of grossed me out at first. But I have to report, they turned out delicious and were quite moist and fudgey-like! I dare you to try them...and let me know if you do! Seriously, low in fat, high in fiber and protein and only 2 ingredients...AWESOME!

Here's the recipe:

1 box of brownie mix (family size 13x9)

1 can of black beans

Rinse and drain beans. Place beans back in can and fill with water. Place water/beans in blender until smooth. Add to brownie mix. (You will NOT add the other ingredients - eggs, oil, etc.). Mix together and pour into baking dish. Bake the brownies according to the regular baking directions on back of the box.

Here's a picture of the finished product...just so you can get an idea of the texture.

Now all I need is some low-fat frozen yogurt and I'm set! Enjoy!

11 comments:

Valerie: said...

omg yes that sounds sooo gross but of course i have to try them cause it involves chocolate. Maybe i will make them while i am here so every one can taste them. I will let u know how they turn out.

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

I must say I saw this recipe http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/amazing-black-bean-brownies-recipe.html
a while back and thought it sounded sketch, BUT it does work and if you're a fudgey brownie type, it's all fine. I love to bake too, but I think it's more the process and seeing the outcome rather than actually eating!!

McB's said...

ya i had to read this post to see what the heck you were talking about and since you think they are good i will have to try them! i've tried the applesauce thing, nasty, especially cookies but i did find these brownies called No Pudge and you add nonfat vanilla yogurt and they are yummy but shoot, fiber, protein, chocolate...i will try! take some to golden spoon and there you go :)

Confessions of a Food Obsessed Girl said...

Glad that you liked them!!!

Aimee said...

Why can't I get this song out of my head??
"Beans, beans, the magical fruit..."

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

Aimee- that is so funny because my husband ate some and has had gas ever since...he keeps blaming the brownies!

Sarah Young said...

No WAY! I'll have to see if I could sneak these by on Justin. He could sniff out an attempt at health from a mile away!

P.S. You could be a hand model. You have the nicest looking hands! Lucky!

caryn said...

Hey.. we made these tonight! They are super fudgey! I can't believe it. I told Jason about it after you posted this, so we decided to try. Jason had luke-warm feelings about them, but the kids all gobbled them up!

Riewerts' said...

Kristen --

I so love that you posted that recipe - sounds more healthy than the diet coke cake! haha! And you have golden spoon nearby to top it off...so jealous...how cute is your family? Thanks for always updating the blog - i know it takes work - or at least Eric knows it takes work...haha! Love Ya - Teresa

Jody said...

OK I'm going to try these brownies...I'll get back to you. And YES, you are your mother's daughter in every way. Sorry, HA!!!!

Unknown said...

That sounds really good, I am so going to try that!